Thursday, April 18, 2024

Short AF Book Review | The Cruel Prince


Hi friends! So today I'm going to be doing a review on "The Cruel Prince" by Holly Black. This review is going to be short and sweet (like the title suggests) and spoiler free (however there will be the Goodreads synopsis in this and sometimes it can contain spoilers so please keep that in mind!)

"Of Course I want to be like them. They're beautiful as blades forged in some divine fire. They will live forever.

And Cardon is even more beautiful than the rest. I hate him more than all the others. I hate him so much that sometimes when I look at him, I can hardly breathe.

Jude was seven years old when her parents were murdered and she and her two sisters were stolen away to live in the treacherous High Court of Faerie. Ten years later, Jude wants nothing more than to belong there, despite her mortality. But many of the fey despise humans. Especially Prince Cardan, the youngest and wickedest son of the High King.

To win a place at the Court, she must defy him - and face the consequences.

In doing so, she becomes embroiled in palace intrigues and deceptions, discovering her own capacity for bloodshed. But as civil war threatens to drown the Courts of Faerie in violence, Jude will need to risk her life in a dangerous alliance to save her sisters, and Faerie itself."

So the reason I wanted to read this book is because it was a book club I'm ins book of the month. I went into this knowing barely anything about the book other than the author co - wrote "The Spiderwick Chronicles" and that it is loved on booktok. So I downloaded it on Kindle Unlimited not knowing what to expect. Friends, I know I need to stop saying this but this book was truly a ride. I loved this book so much! I can very much see why this book is loved so much because it's just so captivating and keeps us on the edge of our seat throughout. I loved meeting all of the characters (good and bad) throughout and learning more about all of their stories. I loved the mixture between being in the human world and being in the fae realm and seeing the stark differences. I loved how much detail the author goes into when describing each of the characters or their surroundings. It was just the perfect amount to get a clear vision in my head without over describing. I love that the author also kept Jude's plan away from everyone (including the reader) until she enacted it. Honestly this book could not be more perfect and I would recommend this to anyone who just wants to read a really good fantasy. I can't wait to see what happens with the rest of the series and I will 100% be picking up the second book the moment I get the chance to.

My Favourite Characters:

Vivienne: So Vivi is Jude's older sister and I adored her. She had that "fuck you" energy from the very start and was as supportive towards Jude as she could possibly be. I hope we get to see more of her throughout the rest of the series.

Oriana: Oriana actually really grew on me throughout the book. You could tell that she did actually care for their family but Oak's safety was priority. I think she's a bad ass in her own right and I loved her.

Jude: Listen, there were times where my faith was waning in Jude throughout the book, but she kept on coming back stronger and had the most amount of character development in the book. I can't wait to see what she'll do next.

My Least Favourite Characters:

Valerian: When you read the book you will 100% see why he is on this list. I hated him so much.

Locke: Locke was another character where I kept gaining faith in him then losing it, I just really didn't like him throughout this book. I hope he has some more character development in the next couple of books

I gave this book a 5/5 star rating on Goodreads.

What did you think of this book? Who were your favourite or least favourite characters? Do you have any books you'd recommend for me to read and do a review on? Please let me know down in the comments below!

Have a wonderful day!

Love, Doe!

No comments:

Post a Comment