Tuesday, February 6, 2024

Short AF Book Review | Go Lightly | ARC Received By Netgalley

 Hi friends! So today I'm going to be doing a review on "Go Lightly" by Brydie Lee Kennedy. This review is going to be short and sweet (like the title suggests) and spoiler free (however there will be the Goodreads synopsis in this and sometimes it can contain spoilers so please keep that in mind!)

"WHO IS ADA?

With Sadie she's an Aussie girl in London, a performer, a ball of creativity and a lover of food.

With Stuart she's funny and quirky, capable of finding romance in a dinner of crisps on a cold harbour and long train rides.

With her family she's the joker, the peacekeeper, the entertainer.

But she doesn't have to choose which version of herself to be... right?

A funny and tender twenty - first century story of family, friendship, love - and how getting it wrong is sometimes the only way to get it right."

I received this book as an ARC from Netgalley, however all opinions are my own.

So the reason I wanted to read this book is that it was described as LGBTQIA+ romance on Netgalley and I requested the book. I am so appreciative that I was able to get this book and read it before it officially comes out and I definitely will be buying this book in physical form when it does. Most of the book is really enjoyable and is just such an easy read. It was nice to see some queer representation which isn't just MLM or WLW specifically. As someone who's bi/ace I find it really difficult to find representation in books/movies and it just made me really happy to see it here. I did spend a couple days longer reading this book not because it was difficult to read but because it was so easy to just pick up when I had a couple of minutes spare! The chapters are mostly short so it's so easy to pick up where you left off! I also really enjoyed the chapters which were the characters sending messages to each other because it made the book feel more real. It was also great to see real life situations being handled very realistically as well and mostly not too overdramatized (although Ada does sometimes still have her moments). The only critique I have about the book is that there are two moments that involve drug use, and that put me off a little bit (not enough to stop me reading, but is worth noting if you're uncomfortable with reading that). I definitely would recommend this to anyone who just wants a nice little queer contemporary to read throughout the day!

My Favourite Characters:

- Mel: Mel is Ada's best friend and roommate and I absolutely adored her throughout the book. She very much tries to be Ada's moral compass but also lets her do her own thing with little judgment.

- Sadie: I loved Sadie from the very start. She very much matches Ada's energy and is so honest and communicative throughout the book.

- Hank: Hank is honestly such a sweetie and I wish we actually got more of him throughout the book but I enjoyed the time we did get with him.

My Least Favourite Characters:

- Stuart: I just didn't like him at all in the book. I understand that Ada can be a bit difficult sometimes throughout the book, but that did not excuse his behaviour. He was just so creepy and I really just hated him.

I gave this book a 4/5 star rating on Goodreads.

This book is going to be released 14th March 2024!

What did you think of this book? Who were your favourite or least favourite characters? Do you have any books you'd recommend for me to read and do a review on? Please let me know down in the comments below!

Have a wonderful day!

Love, Doe!

No comments:

Post a Comment