Friday, May 24, 2024

Short AF Book Review | Tender Is The Flesh

 Hi friends! So today I'm going to be doing a review on "Tender Is The Flesh" by Agustina Bazterrica. This review is going to be short and sweet (like the title suggests) and spoiler free (however there will be the Goodreads synopsis in this and sometimes it can contain spoilers so please keep that in mind!)

"Working at the local processing plant, Marcos is in the business of slaughtering humans - though no one calls them that anymore.

His wife has left him, his father is sinking into dementia, and Marcos tries not to think too hard about how he makes a living. After all, it happened so quickly. First, it was reported that an infectious virus has made all animal meat poisonous to humans. Then governments initiated the 'Transition'. Now, eating human meat - 'special meat' - is legal. Marcos tries to stick to numbers, consignments, processing.

Then one day he's given a gift: a live specimen of the finest quality. Though he's aware that any form of personal contact is forbidden on pain of death, little by little he starts to treat her like a human being. And soon, he becomes tortured by what has been lost - and what might still be saved."

So the reason I wanted to read "Tender Is The Flesh" is because this book has been recommended to me so much on booktok and my friend had a copy which she very kindly lent for me to read. Unfortunately for me, I really did not enjoy this one. I don't know if it was due to the way that this was advertised to me or if it was just the way the book was written, but friends, I was really bored reading this book. This was advertised to me as a dystopian horror and whilst I understand that the topics in this book are meant to horrific, it just didn't grip or scare me in the way that other horrors do. Most of what happened in the book just felt so mundane for the world that they were living in, and I honestly thought it was going to be a lot more graphic than it actually was. If anything, the book made me more sad for some of what happened rather than scared. The only reason I finished this book was because it was only 210 pages but maybe I should have just DNF'd it closer to the start or half way through. I just felt myself not wanting to pick this up but I wanted to give it a good chance because of how much people adore this book. It just wasn't the one for me. If you do read this book, I would go into it knowing it is more dystopian than horror, but also definitely check the trigger warnings too. For me, personally, I wouldn't recommend it.

My Favourite / Least Favourite Characters:

Honestly, all of the characters in this book were awful humans. I do not have favourites or least favourites because I disliked them all.

I gave this book a 2/5 star rating on Goodreads!

What did you think of this book? Who were your favourite or least favourite characters? Do you have any books you'd recommend for me to read and do a review on? Please let me know down in the comments below!

Have a wonderful day!

Love, Doe!

No comments:

Post a Comment