Friday, May 10, 2024

Short AF Book Review | Hey, Zoey | ARC Received By Netgalley

 

Hi friends! So today I'm going to be doing a review on "Hey, Zoey" by Sarah Crossan. This review is going to be short and sweet (like the title suggests) and spoiler free (however there will be the Goodreads synopsis in this and sometimes it can contain spoilers so please keep that in mind!)

"Dolores O'Shea's marriage collapses when she discovers her husband's AI sex doll in the garage. When she moves 'Zoey' into the house, they become oddly bonded, opening the door to a lifetime of repressed feelings and memories. Darkly funny and endlessly sharp, Hey, Zoey is a propulsive story of love, family, and trauma in our tech - buffered age of alienation as strange as it is familiar.

43 - year - old Dolores O'Shea is logical, organized, and prepared to handle whatever comes her way. She keeps up with her job and housework, takes care of her mentally declining mother, and remains close with her old friends and her younger sister who's moved to New York. Though her marriage with David, an anaesthesiologist, isn't what is used to be, nothing can quite prepare her for Zoey, the $8000 AI sex doll that David has secretly purchased and stuffed away in the garage. At first, Zoey sparks an uncharacteristically strong violence in Dolores, whose entire life is suddenly cast in doubt.
But then, Dolores and Zoey start to talk... and what surfaces runs deeper than Dolores could have ever expected, with consequences for all of the relationships in her life, especially her relationship to herself. Provocative, brilliant, and tender, Hey, Zoey is an electrifying new novel about the painful truths of modern - day connection and the complicated and unexpected forms that love can take in a lifetime."

I received this book as an ARC from Netgalley, however all opinions are my own.

So the reason I wanted to read this is because I read the synopsis and thought that this was going to be such a cool read and really interesting to see how the MC and the AI doll would interact with each other. Friends, I could not have been more wrong. I REALLY wanted to love this story, but in all honesty, I wish I DNF'd it. This is a really short story with the ARC only being 163 pages long, but honestly it felt like such a drag to read. The story kept on jumping between the past and the present which made it really difficult to follow along with, and sometimes impossible to know where we were at in the story. I understand that most of our main character's life was meant to be dull and unfulfilling, but that didn't mean that the book had to be also. Then by the end we got these serious topics thrown at us out of nowhere with absolutely no trigger warnings or really any compassion. I feel like the author could've done a better job at making the characters more compassionate and not like they themselves were robots. Throughout most of the book (until the ending) there was only really one character who showed any real type of emotion and it wasn't even our MC. Then the ending, the ending was just too much all at once and it just felt rushed. Overall, I really didn't enjoy this book. Maybe I just don't like the style of writing but I don't think I will be picking up a Sarah Crossan book again.

My Favourite/Least Favourite Characters
I'm not going to be posting my favourite/least favourite characters, because honestly, I felt indifferent about most of them.

I have this book a 2/5 star rating on Goodreads!

This book is going to be released 23rd May 2024!

 What did you think of this book? Who were your favourite or least favourite characters? Do you have any books you'd recommend for me to read and do a review on? Please let me know down in the comments below!

Have a wonderful day!

No comments:

Post a Comment