Wednesday, May 15, 2024

Short AF Book Review | Butcher & Blackbird

Hi friends! So today I'm going to be doing a review on "Butcher & Blackbird" by Brynne Weaver. This review is going to be short and sweet (like the title suggests) and spoiler free (however there will be the Goodreads synopsis in this and sometimes it can contain spoilers so please keep that in mind!)

"Every serial killer needs a friend.
Every game must have a winner.

When a chance encounter sparks an unlikely bond between rival murderers Sloane and Rowan, the two find something elusive - the friendship of a like - minded, pitch - black soul. From small town West Virginia to upscale California, from downtown Boston to rural Texas, the two hunters collide in an annual game of blood and suffering, one that pits them against the most dangerous monsters in the country. But as their friendship develops into something more, the restless ghosts left in their wake are only a few steps behind, ready to claim more than just their newfound love. Can Rowan and Sloane dig themselves out of a game of graves? Or have they finally met their match?

Butcher & Blackbird is the first book in the Ruinous Love Dark Romance trilogy of interconnected stand - alone dark romantic comedies. This dual POV novel ends on a HEA."

So, I finally did it friends, I finally caved into reading a book with smut. The reasons I wanted to read this book is because 1: even though this is a dark romance, a lot of people mentioned how funny this book was to them and I wanted to see what I was missing out on and 2: it was part of Amazon's 99p deal, so I thought if I didn't like it due to not usually enjoying smut books then it wasn't too much of a loss to me. I ADORED this book friends. First of all, I feel like booktok does this book an injustice by saying that it's a "smutty book" because, yes, there is smut, HOWEVER, it's only around 4 small chapters and a few comments here and there. I definitely feel like it's appropriate to call this book a "book with smut" but the book is SO much more than that. This book was hilarious most of the way through and I loved the witty banter and chemistry between our two main characters. It was also dual POV which I really loved because it gave us so much more insight into their relationship developing with each other. The character growth between the main characters was incredible to read. I also loved that the author made all of the side characters (who weren't the bad ones) loveable too and I cannot wait to learn more about their stories in the upcoming books! I will definitely be picking up a physical copy of this book for my library and will also definitely be reading the next two books in the series! Please, even if you're not that much into smut books like me, do yourself a favour and read this book. I could not recommend it enough. (But remember, as always, check the trigger warnings too!)

My Favourite Characters:

Rowan: Listen, I have a thing for the Irish accent, and someone who's Irish and sarcastic and funny was always going to be a favourite character of mine. I love Rowan so much.

Lark: Lark is Sloane's best friend and I loved seeing how supportive she was throughout the entire book. We could all use a best friend like Lark.

My Least Favourite Characters:

ALL of the bad serial killers. I think that one would be obvious!

I gave this book a 5/5 star rating on Goodreads!

What did you think of this book? Who were your favourite or least favourite characters? Do you have any books you'd recommend for me to read and do a review on? Please let me know down in the comments below!

Have a wonderful day!

Love, Doe!

No comments:

Post a Comment