Wednesday, April 10, 2024

Short AF Book Review | One Day

Hi friends! So today I'm going to be doing a review on "One Day" by David Nicholls. This review is going to be short and sweet (like the title suggests) and spoiler free (however there will be the Goodreads synopsis in this and sometimes it can contain spoilers so please keep that in mind!)

"15th July 1988

Emma and Dexter meet on the night of their graduation. Tomorrow they must go their separate ways.

So where will they be on this day next year?

And the year after that?

And every year that follows?"

So the reason I wanted to read "One day" is obviously because of the TV series they have put out on Netflix based on the book and I'm very much a read the book before watching the show/movie kind of girl. Some parts of me are really glad that I read this book because I also found out there's a movie version with my favourite actress (Anne Hathaway) in it. However the majority of me wishes that I had DNFd this book 50 pages in and just got straight into the tv show. In all honesty, if it wasn't for how sarcastic and funny Emma was, I would have 100% done that. This book doesn't necessarily have a bad premise about it, it follows the story of Dexter and Emma on the same day of the year every year from 1988 to 2007. It does a really good job at filling us in on what we've missed between those days and how much these characters lives have changed within the span of almost 20 years. It was just, unfortunately, a bit monotonous and boring. I have no doubt in my mind that the movie and the tv show are both going to be incredible when I watch them, I just don't feel like the story was given to us in the correct media. The times where the book were exciting or heart breaking were few and far between and I feel like that is because we're using up most of the time in the chapters to describe what has happened within the last year even if what had happened wasn't always particularly important or exciting. I also feel like there were moments where we were meant to feel empathy for specific characters but because of the way it was laid out we barely got any time to know them. I love a good contemporary romance, it's just this one wasn't for me.

My Favourite Character:

Emma: Listen, I know Emma can be hot - headed and sarcastic and she made so many mistakes. But I genuinely loved her. If it wasn't for her I would not have carried on with the book. I genuinely feel like she had the most character growth within the book.

My Least Favourite Character:

Dexter: Okay, so Dexter does end up maturing and has a little bit of character development, but I hated him so much in the book. He was such an arsehole throughout and I found it very difficult to read through his sections at times.

I gave this book a 2/5 star rating on Goodreads!

What did you think of this book? Who were your favourite or least favourite characters? Do you have any books you'd recommend for me to read and do a review on? Please let me know down in the comments below!

Have a wonderful day!

Love, Doe!

No comments:

Post a Comment