Wednesday, March 27, 2024

Short AF Book Review | When The Wild Calls | ARC Received By Netgalley

Hi friends! So today I'm going to be doing a review on "When The Wild Calls" by Nicola Penfold. This review is going to be short and sweet (like the title suggests) and spoiler free (however there will be Netgalley synopsis in this and sometimes it can contain spoilers so please keep that in mind!)

"Having escaped their city. Juniper Green and her brother Bear have settled in Ennerdale with their dad and his family. Every day the wild introduced them to new wonder, but Juniper can't stop worrying about her grandmother and best friend left behind. When she hears news that disease has entered the city, she's determined to bring her loved ones to safety.

Trapped in a city riddled with disease and run by a ruthless leader. Etienne longs for the Wild. With the guards becoming more aggressive to counteract the growing rebellion, Etienne's prepared to fight for his freedom. But will he be able to protect himself and keep those around him safe until Juniper returns from the wild?

The compelling and thought - provoking sequel to the much - loved WHERE THE WORLD TURNS WILD, this ecological adventure is perfect for fans of THE LAST BEAR, RUNNING ON THE ROOF OF THE WORLD and THE LAST WILD."

I received this book as an ARC from Netgalley, however all opinions are my own.

How I read this book: eBook

Put a finger down if you missed the fact that this book was a sequel and ended up reading the second book first. It's me, hi, I'm the problem, it's me. So the reason I wanted to read this book is genuinely because the description of it looked so cool and I haven't read a dystopian novel since reading "Ready Player One" when that came out. Friends, this book was so enjoyable to read. I feel like the author gave us just enough information about what had already happened that even though I hadn't read the first book, I knew somewhat what was going on. This book kept me on the edge of my seat throughout the majority of it and was just one big exciting adventure! I really enjoyed that we got the dual POV of Juniper and Etienne because we got to see how vast their two different experiences are. I was rooting for them the whole way through the book. I also really loved that this was set in the UK! I haven't yet read a dystopian set in the UK and it was nice that I could actually picture the kinds of places that Juniper was going through. I loved the character growth of both Juniper and Etienne in this book, and can only imagine what they went through within the first. The twist at the end was so good and I did not see it coming at all. I definitely will be picking up the first book on payday, as well as this book when it comes out! Overall I really enjoyed reading this book and would recommend to anyone who wants a really good YA dystopian.

My Favourite Characters:

Willow: I honestly loved how sweet Willow was to everyone and the fact that she seemed to take Juniper and Bear in as if they were her own children. We didn't get a lot of her in the book but she was still my favourite throughout the book.

Cam: Honestly, the moment Cam came into the story I did not stop smiling. I'm excited to see what he was like in the last book and I love him so much!

Gael: I love having good father figures in books. Gael is no exception.

My Least Favourite Characters:`

    Morgan: Morgan isn't even that much of the book but I thought she was such a mean character especially considering the characters she was being cruel to are children.

Abbot: I LOATHED him and I think he should rot.

I gave this book a 4/5 star rating!

This book is going to be released 11th April 2024!

What did you think of this book? Who were your favourite or least favourite characters? Do you have any books you'd recommend for me to read and do a review on? Please let me know down in the comments below!

Have a wonderful day!

Love, Doe!

No comments:

Post a Comment