Wednesday, March 20, 2024

Short AF Book Review | The Groundskeeper: Raking Up The Dead

Hi friends! So today I'm going to be doing a review on "The Groundskeeper: Raking Up The Dead" by Cedar Sanderson. This review is going to be short and sweet (like the title suggests) and spoiler free (however there will be the Goodreads synopsis in this and sometimes it can contain spoilers so please keep that in mind!)

"The ghouls, wraiths, and ghosties had not been part of the job description. Or maybe they had, just not in so many words. The neatly printed sign next to the ornate gates had simply read 'Cemetery groundskeeper and caretaker needed. Inquire within'

Now Chloe's trying to calm an irascible ghoul, help a lost ghost find his way back to his grave, and get the mowing done before she needs to break out the bush hog instead... Who knew being a groundskeeper meant trying to keep things in the ground?"

How I read this: eBook

So the reason I wanted to read "The Groundskeeper: Raking Up The Dead" was because it was one of the books that was available on a December stuff your kindle day. The story is a very short story and I thought I'd sit down and read it before bed as it was only about 40 pages. I thought it'd be a nice little light hearted read and boy was I wrong. In all honesty, most of the book was boring and it genuinely felt like it was slogging on for more than 40 pages. I couldn't get into it and had to keep re-reading parts as I felt like I was missing something that just wasn't there. From what I've seen there are a bunch of people who loved this book but it just wasn't my cup of tea. The redeeming thing about this book however that made it go from a 2 star to a 3 star book for me was the twist at the end. I just wasn't expecting it and it really did take me by surprise. I don't think I'll be continuing the series but if you want a short book to read for bedtime and you're into ghost stories I'd probably recommend this for you.

My favourite character:

- Chloe: Chloe is our main character and genuinely seems to care about her job as well as the spooky ongoings that happen with it. As much as I didn't enjoy the book I did find her a good character.

My least favourite character:

- Bartholomew: Bartholomew was just far too whiny for my liking throughout the book. If I have to pick a least favourite character from this book it is definitely him.

I gave this book a 3/5 star rating on Goodreads.

What did you think of this book? Who were your favourite or least favourite characters? Do you have any books you'd recommend for me to read and do a review on? Please let me know down in the comments below!

Have a wonderful day!

Love, Doe

No comments:

Post a Comment