Friday, March 22, 2024

Short AF Book Review | Beautiful Creatures

Hi friends! So today I'm going to be doing a review on "Beautiful Creatures" by Kami Garcia & Margaret Stohl. This review is going to be short and sweet (like the title suggests) and spoiler free (however there will be the Goodreads synopsis in this and sometimes it can contain spoilers so please keep that in mind!)

"Lena Duchannes is unlike anyone the small Southern town of Gatlin has ever seen, and she's struggling to conceal her power, and a curse that has haunted her family for generations. But even within the overgrown gardens, murky swamps and crumbling graveyards of the forgotten South, a secret cannot stay hidden forever.

Ethan Wate, who has been counting the months until he can escape from Gatlin, is haunted by dreams of a beautiful girl he has never met. When Lena moves into the town's oldest and most infamous plantation, Ethan is inexplicably drawn to her and determined to uncover the connection between them.

In a town with no surprises, one secret could change everything."

How I read this book: Physical copy.

So the reason I wanted to read this book is because 1: I wanted to see the differences between the movie and the book and 2: I got the whole series from the works for like £7.50 and 3: I asked my partner to pick me out a book from the ones I'd recently gotten and they chose this one! It has been a while since I last watched "Beautiful Creatures" as a movie so I can't remember much about it but I thought I did have some insight of what I was getting into when I picked up this book. Boy was I wrong. This book is so beautifully written and follows the story between Ethan and Lena. The book dove so much more into what a caster is and had so many more characters in it to give us an explanation of the history of not just the casters but Ethan's family also. I spent the best part of 4 days reading this book picking it up at every opportunity I got to read. This book broke my heart to put it back together just to break it again. There was so much character development throughout and the book has left me wanting more (edit: which luckily for me, there was 3 more books to read! I loved each and every one of them!) If you'd like a cute romantasy that's set in our world I definitely would recommend this book to you! Overall I loved this book and I'm so glad I picked it up.

My Favourite Characters:

- Amma: Don't get me wrong, I know Amma was big on keeping secrets from Ethan throughout this book but you can see how much of it was to protect him. She loves Ethan like he's her own and I loved all of the scenes with Amma in.

- Macon: Once again, another character that kept a lot of secrets for their protection. You can truly tell he loved Lena and cared for her and as scary as he could be at times I fell in love with his character.

- Link: Link is Ethan's best friend and does almost anything for Ethan no questions asked. Link is exactly the kind of best friend everyone wants in their life and provides a lot of comedic relief throughout the book.

My Least Favourite Characters:

- Emily: Emily is honestly just a massive bully and I hated her throughout the book. I wish we got some character growth within her but to me it didn't seem like we did.

- Larkin: I can't say too much about why I dislike Larkin without giving away some of the book. I really liked him throughout most of the book and wish he had stayed the boy that I liked.

I gave this book a 5/5 star rating on goodreads.

What did you think of this book? Who were your favourite or least favourite characters? Do you have any books you'd recommend for me to read and do a review on? Please let me know down in the comments below!

Have a wonderful day!

Love, Doe!

No comments:

Post a Comment