Friday, February 2, 2024

Short AF Book Review | History Is All You Left Me

 Hi friends! So today I'm going to be doing a review on "History Is All You Left Me" by Adam Silvera. This review is going to be short and sweet (like the title suggests) and spoiler free (however there will be the Goodreads synopsis in this and sometimes it can contain spoilers so please keep that in mind!)

"When Griffin's first love and ex-boyfriend, Theo, dies in a drowning accident, his universe implodes. Even though Theo had moved to California for college and started seeing Jackson, Griffin never doubted Theo would come back to him when the time was right. But now, the future he's been imagining for himself has gone far off course.

To make things worse, the only person who truly understands his heartache is Jackson. But no matter how much they open up to each other, Griffin's downward spiral continues. He's losing himself in his obsessive compulsions and destructive choices, and the secrets he's been keeping are tearing him apart.

If Griffin is ever to rebuild his future, he must first confront his history, every last heartbreaking piece in the puzzle of his life."

How I read this book: eBook

So the reason I wanted to read this book is because I first read "They Both Die At The End" by Adam Silvera and it instantly became one of my favourite books. I thought it would be the same with "History is all you left me" but honestly I didn't love it in the same way. Even so, I still loved it nonetheless. Adam Silvera has a really beautiful way of writing LGBTQIA+ fiction and I'm impressed with how he can encapsulate you in his writing and leave you wanting to know more and more about the characters within. I found that there is so much character development in what already felt like fully flushed out characters from the beginning. This book had me tearing up throughout and is genuinely such a heartbreaking read (I'm so glad I read this as an eBook otherwise I would've ruined this book by crying on it). This has also made me want to read even more Adam Silvera books due to how beautiful his writing is. I would definitely recommend this to everyone, even if they aren't part of the LGBTQIA+ community.

My Favourite Characters

- Griffin: Obviously he's the main character of this book, but I adore the way his written and how much he develops as a character throughout the book. He can be relatable at times with how geeky he can be and I loved seeing how he turned out by the end of the book.

- Jackson: Once again, one of the main characters but most of the story revolves around them. My heart broke for both Griffin and Jackson but ESPECIALLY for Jackson and all the weight he put on himself. I'm glad he found some peace and resolve by the end of the book.

My Least favourite Character

- Griffin's Cousin (I have genuinely forgotten his name and the internet won't tell me): When you read the book you'll know the one. Luckily he's only a small character of the book but I absolutely despised him.

I gave this book a 5/5 star rating on Goodreads.

What did you think of this book? Who were your favourite or least favourite characters? Do you have any books you'd recommend for me to read and do a review on? Please let me know down in the comments below!

Have a wonderful day!

Love, Doe!


No comments:

Post a Comment