Friday, February 23, 2024

Short AF Book Review | A Good Girl's Guide To Murder

Hi friends! So today I'm going to be doing a review on "A Good Girl's Guide To Murder" by Holly Jackson. This review is going to be short and sweet (like the title suggests) and spoiler free (however there will be the goodreads synopsis in this and sometimes it can contain spoilers so please keep that in mind!)

"The case is closed. Five years ago, schoolgirl Andie Bell was murdered by Sal Singh. The police know he did it. Everyone in town knows he did it.

But having grown up in the same small town that was consumed by the murder, Pippa Fitz-Amobi isn't so sure. When she chooses the case as the topic for her final year project, she starts to uncover secrets that someone in town desperately wants to stay hidden. And if the real killer is still out there, how will they go to keep Pip from the truth?"

How I read this book: Physical copy

There are some triggering topics in this book, so please be advised to read up on the trigger warnings before reading this book

So the reason I wanted to read "A Good Girl's Guide To Murder" is because this book has been hyped up all over booktok and I wanted to know whether the hype was worth it or not. The hype was 100% worth it and I'm so glad I picked this book up. I found it really hard to put this book down and felt consumed by it for the best part of 2 days. I loved learning more and more about the characters and seeing the characters develop throughout the book. I loved seeing that there were real repercussions for the characters and what they did within the book also. I was also ecstatic when we got not just one but two twists!! This book also is supposed to be a YA book but I did not feel like it read like one. There's also two more books in the series which I will definitely be reading but I do not understand how they could continue from this first book as we weren't left on a cliff-hanger and everything was wrapped up very nice and neatly. I'm excited to see what this series holds in the future and I would recommend this to anyone who loves a good mystery.

My favourite characters:

- Pip: I know Pip is the main character but I really loved her. She truly is her own little true crime girl boss and is very much relatable.

- Victor: Victor is Pip's step dad and I really loved seeing him being such a healthy father figure throughout the book. Kind of wish we got a little more of him because he constantly brought that reassurance as well as some comedic relief.

- Ravi: I love how fleshed out Ravi is as a character, he's funny and gentle and the author made it very easy to feel sorry for him but also love him.

My least favourite characters:

- Stephen: Stephen is just a literal piece of shit. If you read the book you'll see exactly what I mean.

- Stanley Forbes - Stanley is a very small character in the book (Which I'm glad about) and is definitely put there to show the reader how the media can be biased and cruel. The author did a very good job at portraying what reporters and reports CAN be like in the real world.

- Max: Max is just another piece of shit character. Once again, if you read the book you'll see why.

I gave this book a 5/5 star rating on Goodreads.

What did you think of this book? Who were your favourite or least favourite characters? Do you have any books you'd recommend for me to read and do a review on? Please let me know down in the comments below!

Have a wonderful day!

Love, Doe!

No comments:

Post a Comment