Wednesday, January 17, 2024

Short AF Book Review | Miss Peregrine's Home For Peculiar Children

 Hi friends! So today I'm going to be doing a review on "Miss Peregrine's Home For Peculiar Children" by Ransom Riggs. This review is going to be short and sweet (like the title suggests) and spoiler free (however there will be the Goodreads synopsis in this and sometimes it can contain spoilers so please keep that in mind!)

"A mysterious island. An abandoned orphanage. A strange collection of curious photographs. It all waits to be discovered in "Miss Peregrine's Home For Peculiar Children," an unforgettable novel that mixes fiction and photography in a thrilling reading experience. As our story opens, a horrific family tragedy sets sixteen-year-old Jacob journeying to a remote island off the coast of Wales, where he discovers the crumbling ruins of Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children. As Jacob explores its decaying bedrooms and hallways, it becomes clear that Miss Peregrine's children were more than just peculiar. They may have been dangerous. They may have been quarantined on a deserted island for good reason. And somehow - impossible though it seems - they may still be alive."

How I read this book: eBook

So I'm not going to lie to you guys, I watched the movie of this before reading the book so I had some idea of what I was getting into but oh boy I did not realise just the depth of it. The book had so much information in it in regards to what and who everyone was, that the movie simply did not have. I loved diving into the world and finding out more about the characters! I really enjoyed the photographs that were included within the book so that you didn't have to try and imagine what they were explaining in regards to the peculiar children, they just simply showed you. There was so much character development throughout the book and it definitely left me wanting more. I really enjoyed seeing everything through the eyes of Jacob. There was so much world building but they also didn't over explain everything that you were seeing at the same time (which I really don't like in some fantasy books). It was really nice to read about unordinary things happening in the setting of such an ordinary island. I will be very much reading the second book in the series as soon as possible!

My Favourite Characters

- Emma Bloom: Please note, I really loved Emma in the movie. But Emma in the book is far more complex. I loved seeing her character development throughout the book and just enjoyed seeing her peculiarity play through in the book.

- Millard Nullings: Millard made for some comedic entries within the book and also is the most knowledgeable character in regards to what was happening and how to approach everything. I loved every time he popped up in the book and want to learn more about him.

My Least Favourite Characters

-  Franklin Portman: Franklin is honestly such a bad dad. Just read the book, the lack of empathy he has for his son as well as lack of responsibility just grinded my gears. I hope he gets better within the next couple of books.

- Enoch O'Connor: Enoch is just simply cruel. He also seems to have the least amount of character development in the first book. I'm hoping he gets more character development in the next few books but at the minute I very much doubt he will. He seems very set in his ways.

Overall, I really enjoyed "Miss Peregrine's Home For Peculiar Children" and definitely will be reading more into the series. I'm very excited to see where the series will take the story!

I gave this book a 5/5 star rating on goodreads.

What did you think of this book? Who were your favourite or least favourite characters? Do you have any books you'd recommend for me to read and do a review on? Please let me know down in the comments below!

Have a wonderful day!

Love, Doe!


No comments:

Post a Comment