Tuesday, January 30, 2024

Short AF Book Review | Five Feet Apart


Hi friends! So today I'm going to be doing a review on "Five Feet Apart" by Rachel Lippincott, Mikki Daughtry and Tobias Iaconis. This review is going to be short and sweet (like the title suggests) and spoiler free (however there will be the goodreads synopsis in this and sometimes it can contain spoilers so please keep that in mind!)


"In this moving story two teens fall in love with just one minor complication - they can't get within five feet of each other without risking their lives.

Can you love someone you can never touch?

Stella Grant likes to be in control - even though her totally out of control lungs have sent her in and out of the hospital most of her life. At this point, what Stella needs to control most is keeping herself away from anyone or anything that might pass along an infection and jeopardize the possibility of a lung transplant. Six feet apart. No exceptions.

The only thing Will Newman wants to be in control of is getting out of this hospital. He couldn't care less about his treatments, or a fancy new clinical drug trial. Soon, he'll turn eighteen and then he'll be able to unplug all these machines and actually go see the world, not just its hospitals.

Will's exactly what Stella needs to stay away from. If he so much as breathes on Stella she could lose her spot on the transplant list. Either one of them could die. The only way to stay alive is to stay apart. But suddenly six feet doesn't feel like safety. It feels like punishment.

What if they could steal back just a little bit of the space their broken lungs have stolen from them? Would five feet apart really be so dangerous if it stops their hearts from breaking too?"

So the reason I wanted to read "Five Feet Apart" is because I've wanted to watch the movie adaption for the longest time and I have that silly thing where I'd rather read the book before watching the movie than vice versa. I didn't know too much about what I was getting into when starting the book other than the movie trailer and the goodreads synopsis. I knew that this book was one of the ones that were written along the timeline of "sad YA books" such as "The Fault In Our Stars" by John Green and "Everything, Everything" by Nicola Yoon so I knew I was in for some heartbreak, I just didn't realise how much. "Five Feet Apart" was beautifully written and made you get attached to almost every single character in the book. The heartbreak I was expecting to happen and the heartbreak that did happen was completely different, I would definitely recommend that if you're going to read this you have a box of tissues next to you. If you enjoyed this genre of YA fiction I definitely would recommend "Five Feet Apart" and this definitely is something that I will be re-reading in the future and I will 100% be watching the movie of it as soon as I can!

My favourite characters:

- Poe: Honestly, Poe is everything you could wish for as a best friend if you were going through something like they went through together. I really love Poe's character, he was very much a source of comedic relief throughout the book and was 100% my favourite character in the whole book. 

- Stella: Once again, a young woman who was written to be extremely smart with a good head on her shoulders. Stella for me didn't need too much character development but she definitely got it. I really enjoyed getting to read through her perspective in the book/

- Will: Will definitely had the most character development for me - I'm not gonna lie when the book started I wasn't the biggest fan of him. I found him to be incredible selfish and unlikeable, but by the end of the book I loved him just as much as I loved Poe and Stella

My least favourite characters:

In all honestly, I didn't have a least favourite character in this book. I feel like it'd be hard to villainize any of the characters of this book with everything they're going through. Even when people were acting not the greatest it was very much understandable as to why they were acting in that way.

 I gave this book a 5/5 star rating on goodreads.

What did you think of this book? Who were your favourite or least favourite characters? Do you have any books you'd recommend for me to read and do a review on? Please let me know down in the comments below!

Have a wonderful day!

Love, Doe

No comments:

Post a Comment