Wednesday, May 29, 2024

Short AF Book Review | Eat Your Heart Out Vol. 1 | ARC Received By Netgalley

 Hi friends! So today I'm going to be doing a review on "Eat Your Heart Out Vol.1" by Terry Blas, Matty Newton, & Lydia Anslow. This review is going to be short and sweet (like the title suggests) and spoiler free (however there will be the Goodreads synopsis in this and sometimes it can contain spoilers so please keep that in mind!)

"The Great British Bake Off Meets Project Runway in this modern coming - of - age fashion fairytale about pursuing your passion.

Blanca is running away. Away from her mother - the overbearing and strict Riena - and her mother's narrow idea of what shape Blanca's life should take. While Riena finds Blanca's dream of pursuing fashion design a wasteful flight of fancy, Blanca sees possibility... and she knows if she doesn't leave now, she might never. Of course, following your passion isn't easy, and when Blanca arrives in New York City without a job or a roof over her head, she's rescued by a kindly baker named Emile, who takes her in. With Emile comes their eclectic group of six friends, all living in the same brownstone, who welcome Blanca into their weird, wonderful family. With them, Blanca learns that her fairy - tale journey can't begin until she stops running away from her problems and starts running toward her dream."

So the reason I applied for this ARC is because, as I always say, I adore queer storytelling. Friends this graphic novel did not disappoint. I read through this so quickly (literally in one sitting) and just ate this story up. There was not a single character (other than Riena) in this book that I did not like. This was such a feel good read from the get go and I found myself smiling the whole way through the story. My favourite thing about this book, is that yes, Blanca, the main character is obviously the main part of the story, but the authors of this graphic novel gave so much consideration and information around the other central characters in the story, diving not only into their wants and needs now, but their past lives also. I will say, you may need google translate for a couple of the pages of the novel, as Blanca speaks in Spanish with her friends/family throughout some of the novel, but please don't let that put you off because these pages are so sweet and really deserve the amount of love that was put into them. The cast of characters was also so diverse and the authors truly put something for everyone in this graphic novel. The artwork is also absolutely stunning, I adore the artstyle so much and it made it so easy on my eyes to read through. My only downside to this book, is that I have to wait until 2025 to read volume 2. It cannot come soon enough. I will absolutely be picking up a physical copy of this graphic novel when it comes out and I implore that you do also.

My Favourite Characters:

Blanca: So Blanca is our main character but I love how kind she is to everyone and truly shows that a little compassion can go a long way.

Emile: Emily legitimately saw this girl, saw she needed a place to stay and took her in. I love him so much.

Cat: Cat is such a small character in the story, but she is GORGEOUS. I loved all of the scenes with her in.

My Least Favourite Characters:

Riena: This woman is drawn and acts like the typical villain you would see in a fairytale. I hope her and Blanca do see eye to eye at some point, but for now she scares me.

I gave this book a 5/5 star rating on Goodreads!

This book is going to be released 13th August 2024!

 What did you think of this book? Who were your favourite or least favourite characters? Do you have any books you'd recommend for me to read and do a review on? Please let me know down in the comments below!

Have a wonderful day!

Love, Doe!

No comments:

Post a Comment