Thursday, April 25, 2024

Short AF Book Review | Where The World Turns Wild

Hi friends! So today I'm going to be doing a review on "Where The World Turns Wild" by Nicola Penfold. This review is going to be short and sweet (like the title suggests) and spoiler free (however there will be the Goodreads synopsis in this and sometimes it can contain spoilers so please keep that in mind!)

"Juniper Greene lives in a walled city from which nature has been banished, following the outbreak of a deadly man - made disease many years earlier. While most people seem content to live in such a cage, she and her little brother Bear have always known about their resistance to the disease, and dream of escaping into the wild. To the one place humans have survived outside of cities. To where their mother is.

When scientists discover that the siblings provide the key to fighting the disease, the pair must flee for their lives. As they cross the barren Buffer Zone and journey into the unknown, Juniper and Bear can only guess at the dangers that lie ahead. Nature can be cruel as well as kind... Will they ever find the home they've been searching for?"

So the reason I wanted to read this book is because I accidentally read the second book in this series first. I loved the second one so I thought I'd read the first one to see if it was just as good. Friends this book was even better. It gave us more insight into the virus and everything that has happened to Juniper and Bear. This one also definitely felt like there was a lot more adventure within too. I once again spent the whole time reading on the edge of my seat hoping they'll get to where they need to go (Even though I knew the end result from the second book) I loved seeing more of Bear's personality shine through this book and getting to know more about him as well as Juniper. I also loved getting to learn so much more about the side characters such as Hester and Cam. However, when seeing them, there was one word that was used to describe them that I don't think is socially acceptable to say anymore so please keep that in mind when you're reading this book. There was so many moments in this book where I audibly gasped at what they were going through and just was not expecting. I also think this book can be enjoyed very easily by anyone considering that it's written for middle grade. Overall, I enjoyed this book and would recommend this to anyone who just wants a nice dystopian to read.

My Favourite Characters:

Juniper: Juniper truly was a badass throughout this book and I'm so glad we got to see more of that side to her.

Hester: I loved Hester so much, she definitely gave Juniper and Bear the maternal figure they so truly needed at that point and I couldn't of asked for a better character

Annie Rose: We got to see more of Annie Rose in this book and I really fell in love with her character. She'd do anything for her family and it truly shows.

My Least Favourite Characters:

Abbot: Abbot is just a piece of shit and I hate the way he treats literal children.

Violet: I feel like the author wanted us to have some sort of empathy for Violet and why she did what she did but I honestly could not excuse that behaviour. She was awful.

I gave this book a 4/5 star rating on Goodreads!

What did you think of this book? Who were your favourite or least favourite characters? Do you have any books you'd recommend for me to read and do a review on? Please let me know down in the comments below!

Have a wonderful day!

Love, Doe!

No comments:

Post a Comment