Friday, March 15, 2024

Short AF Book Review | Follow Me Back

 Hi friends! So today I'm going to be doing a review on "Follow Me Back" by Nicci Cloke. This review is going to be short and sweet (like the title suggests) and spoiler free (however there will be the Goodreads synopsis in this and sometimes it can contain spoilers so please keep that in mind!)

"A thrilling read, for fans of Gone Girl and We Were Liars.

There was no sign of struggle, they whispered to each other. She took her phone but left her laptop behind.

Apparently, she'd met someone online, they write to each other in class, phones buzzing.

She ran away. She was taken.

The first time Aiden Kendrick hears about Lizzie Summersall's disappearance is when the police appear at his front door. He and Lizzie used to be friends; they aren't anymore. And when Aiden finds out that Lizzie had been talking to strangers on Facebook; that the police think she went to meet one of them, he begins to wonder how well he ever really knew her, and Aiden doesn't know it yet, but with Lizzie's disappearance his life is about to take a twisted and desperate turn."

There are some triggering topics in this book, so please be advised to read up on the trigger warnings before reading this book

So the reason I wanted to read "Follow Me Back" is genuinely because I saw it in a charity shop and thought it looked interesting. I'm so glad I picked this book up because honestly it was such a fun read. First of all I really loved the element of switching between the actual story and the messages between the characters, it made reading the book fly by. Secondly it was really cool to read a book with an unreliable narrator, the author did such a good job at leaving a lot of things out of the story without us realising until they needed to be put in. I loved all the little twists and turns we got throughout the book and it truly did keep me on the edge of my seat not knowing what was going to happen next, I swear when I wasn't expecting any more of them another one popped up. The book was so easy to just pick up when I was doing nothing and I flew through it so fast (literally read this in one day). This is a YA thriller and unfortunately at times you could tell because of how juvenile it was but I still really enjoyed it. I would recommend this to anyone who loves reading YA thriller/mystery (especially if you enjoy books like "A Good Girl's Guide To Murder")!

My favourite characters:

- Scobie: Scobie is actually a really good friend throughout most of the book (minus one little bit which I can't give away without spoiling the book). Aiden really does not deserve him as a friend but I'm glad that Scobie seemed to stick with him throughout.

- Marnie: Marnie was such a good character in the book who was trying to do everything to find her friend and I love that she gave us some more insight into Lizzie and what was going on with her.

My least favourite characters:

- Deacon: Deacon is just a bully. Plain and simply put. I understand his part was necessary to get more information about Aiden that he wasn't giving us in the beginning but I just really didn't like him as a character.

- Cheska: Cheska is honestly such a shitty sister. I found her attitude disgusting throughout the book and I honestly wish we got less of her.

I gave this book a 4/5 star rating on Goodreads.

What did you think of this book? Who were your favourite or least favourite characters? Do you have any books you'd recommend for me to read and do a review on? Please let me know down in the comments below!

Have a wonderful day!

Love, Doe!

No comments:

Post a Comment